Brand new x5v6

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brand new x5v6

Brand new x5v6 netwrk issues out of the box tried uninstalling as I read somewhere here tried reinstalling drivers tried removing tried almost everything but speed is still crap. I'm currrently using a usb wireless adapter that I also bought just to be able to use this 2000+ USD laptop. Can someone give me the exact unit to look for? I'm not sure if it should be intel 8260 or 8265. Can someone please confirm?

Should have heed the warnings I've read from different forums and reviews. Wasted my hard earned money for this thing that only looks good on paper but has a faulty wireless card, battery draining while playing graphic intensive games. No RMA crap please as I'm in Dubai and without aorus support, RMA is the only fix that they can offer and it's not even guaranteed you'll receive a better unit based from multiple forums I've read. What a waste of hard earned money.

Hi,

Greetings!

Have you tried updating the firmware from Killer?
    Please also update all the drivers/firmware to the latest version.
    Thanks.

Comment

Yes, updated all from the aorus downloads section. Also did a windows refresh twice. I actually researched for a month before buying this laptop so I was prepared with a lot of troubleshooting bookmarked on my browser. I have like 7-8 topics of different issues and the fix that worked for them. Unfortunately none worked for the wireless card. I thought i was prepared enough to deal with this but it looks like I wasn't.

Comment

Hi Braindev,

Have you tried getting the latest version from the Killer website?

Comment

Yes, didn't help as well.

Comment

Hey briandev,

Are you experiencing other issues with the WiFi card (dropping network, complete disconnects), or is it just slow? I've used quite a few laptops with the Killer Wireless-AC 1535 card, and the issues I've experienced most have been 5 GHz networks not being recognized or being dropped after connection, and the adapter itself first losing an Internet connection, followed by the adapter disabling itself for a short period of time. If you could give a bit more detail about what's going on, I could possibly help a bit more.

As for my X5 v6, I experienced both of the issues I listed with it. But now, I have the Killer 1535 installed and I have zero issues with it. During my troubleshooting process, I updated the drivers using the AORUS Driver Update utility, then updated to the latest drivers directly from Killer Networking (http://killernetworking.com/driver-d...rol-center-x64). When that didn't work, I uninstalled the Killer Control Center software and updated the driver inside Device Manager using the driver INF package from Killer (http://killernetworking.com/driver-d...er-drivers-inf). I still had issues with that, so I once again tried the AORUS Driver Update software to get the latest recommended version, but I rolled back the driver in Device Manager before doing so. When I did that, the driver used was a generic Microsoft driver and not a Killer Networking driver. Then once I installed the Killer software through AORUS Driver Update, everything has been working well with none of the previous issues.

So if you want, you could try the exact steps I did, or it could be the same end result if you uninstall any Killer software that's currently installed, then roll back the driver in Device Manager until you get to a generic Microsoft driver. At that point, try installing the Killer driver from the AORUS Driver Update utility. The other possible software differences are that I have updated all of the drivers and firmware through the AORUS Driver Update software (except for the NVIDIA software, which is the latest version from the GeForce Experience software), and I have the Windows 10 Creators Update installed.

In the end though, it seems that the Killer 1535 gives some people a lot of issues, while others have zero issues. I've used a Dell XPS 15 9560, an MSI GS63VR, and an MSI GS73VR which all had issues with the Killer 1535 card. The same happened with the Intel 7265 a couple of years ago (http://forum.aorus.com/forum/gaming-...ues-all-models) and while some users were able to tweak settings and install different drivers/software to get everything working, others had to replace the card altogether. With my original X5 and the Intel 7265, the only way I was able to get consistent performance was to swap it out with a Killer Wireless-AC 1525.

In regards to your first post about the Intel 8260 and 8265 cards, the main difference between the two is the 8265 supports some additional features, such as MU-MIMO, 802.11r, and 802.11k. As for wireless transfer rates, they both max out at 867 Mbps. Either will physically fit in place of the Killer 1535.

Comment

Hi svnyster,

The first few days, it was disconnecting, very slow speed and then wouldn't recognize my network from time to time. Then i tried updating it via killer wireless directly and it got worse so i unistalled everything and it went to the basic killer wireless default the 4.0 something. Then I updated it with aorus driver update and the disconnects happen very rarely. the speed improved a bit and was able to reach 1mbps on dload speeds. Please note that my connection at home is 2.4 I tried it on 5 Ghz and it wasnt really that bad, a bit lower than what other devices get but at least double digits. But since i always use this at home and only has 2.4 ghz frequency to connect the max speed i get with killer wireless was around 4 mbps when the usual speeds should br 15-30 mbps.

Thank you for detailing your tweaks below. Will try it this week and see if anything helps. I've really lost count of the things I did to make it work so I'm not even sure if I did yours already. Will let you know soon as I'm able to try it

Comment

Hello again Svnyster

I tried your tweak, rolling back the driver to the generic one 4.0.2 something updating the driver through aorus driver update
                I tried it twice but it's not updating the driver, I can see it installing and then finished and then prompts for a restart but everytime I restart it's still the same generic driver.
                Slower speed and disconnects are coming again. Any idea why it won't update? Latest wifi from aorus driver update is 12.0.0.285 and mine is still at 4.0.2.

Comment

Strangely enough, I started having the disconnect issues again last night on my X5 v6. I tried the same route of uninstalling the Killer Performance Suite software, but during the uninstall process, I got a BSoD and was unable to get a consistent connection to my network after that. I tried to uninstall the Performance Suite again, install a newer version over the installed version, update just the drivers, and even completely uninstall the WiFi and Ethernet adapters from Device Manager, but I was unable to recover it to a normal state. In the end, I had to perform a Windows recovery to get everything back to a factory state. I then immediately uninstalled the Killer Performance Suite and updated the drivers using the Killer INF package (http://killernetworking.com/driver-d...er-drivers-inf). I'm still in the process of testing and getting everything running, but as of right now, everything is working as expected.

Regarding the issue you're now experiencing, that's exactly what was happening to me after I got the BSoD during the uninstall process. After some research, it appears that the whole issue with the Killer 1535 started after Microsoft pushed an update sometime last year that messed with the functionality of the wireless card, which explains why it's not just AORUS laptops that have the issue, but any laptop equipped with the Killer 1535 (Dell XPS 13 9360, Dell XPS 15 9560, MSI GS63VR, MSI GS73VR, Razer Blade, etc).

Sorry I can't be of more help. I actually just ordered the Intel 8265 WiFi card in case the problems keep popping up.

Comment

I see, do you know of any video tutorials that i can use when I change mine? I have no idea how to do it

Comment

Let me preface this by saying (as I try to do in any thread that involves opening your computer) any maintenance you perform yourself risks your warranty being void. If any damage is done that could affect the functionality of certain components and you later need to send it in for service, the service centers will have the right to refuse the warranty. Certain types of maintenance (changing/adding SSDs or memory) has a low chance of causing damage, but changing the WiFi card will require disconnecting and reconnecting antenna wires, which can be very delicate. If you feel uncomfortable performing any of this maintenance yourself, I would recommend taking the laptop to a local computer repair shop to have the work done.

With that out of the way, the first thing you'll need to do is download the driver software for your new WiFi card. For Intel cards, you can find the software at https://downloadcenter.intel.com/. Just search for the model of your card on that page, and download the latest Intel ProSet/Wireless Software and Drivers, as well as the Intel Wireless Bluetooth, for your OS. Once you select the correct software version, the next page will have two download links: 64-bit (top) and 32-bit(bottom). If you've got Windows 10 Home that came preinstalled on the X5 v6, use the 64-bit version. You can either download these drivers straight to your X5 or to a USB drive.

After you have the driver software downloaded, power down the laptop and remove the bottom cover, which is held in place by 12 T6 screws and small clips around the inner edges of the chassis. After removing the screws, find a gap to start gently removing the cover from the chassis. On my unit, the best place I've found to start is the left side (looking towards the bottom cover) near the HDMI port. If you need tools to perform the work, I personally use the iFixit Pro Tech Toolkit (https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Tools/P...it/IF145-307-1), but they also have the cheaper Essential Electronics Toolkit (https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Tools/E...it/IF145-348-1) which would have all of the tools you'd need. The blue opening tool and opening picks in these kits are great for prying the bottom cover away from the chassis.

Once the bottom cover is removed, here's what the internals will look like:

The Killer Wireless-AC 1535 card is the smaller of the two PCBs on the left side of the motherboard just above the battery. There is a single Phillips screw securing the WiFi card and the metal shroud covering the antenna wires. Removing that screw will allow you to remove the metal shroud, then the card will slide out of the M.2 connector. You may need to wiggle the card a little bit when removing it from the connector, because the connection can be stiff to ensure the pins have proper contact.

With the WiFi card disconnected from the motherboard, the only things keeping it attached are the two antenna wires. The gold connectors need to be pried away from the card. The connectors on the card itself are circular, so the wires will rotate around the connector, which may help to loosen the connection a bit. Once the wires are disconnected from the WiFi card, you'll just need to perform the same steps in reverse with the new card. Attaching the antenna wires can be a bit of a pain, but just be sure the connector is lined up correctly and they will just snap in place. The triangle labels near the antenna connectors on the Intel 8265 are reversed from the Killer 1535, but the text labels are the same, so just be sure to attach the grey wire to the AUX connector and the black wire to the MAIN connector.

There aren't many good videos I could find on replacing the WiFi card that's not for older cards, but here's one that details the steps for replacing the card: https://youtu.be/rwnxTKyacqE

If you have any other questions about it, let me know and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Comment

Wow thanks a lot for this! Will give it! a try once I get a hold of a new card

Comment

I'll jump on this too, seemingly over the last few days my machine (X3 V5-cf2) has started to drop wifi connectivity. It doesn't drop for long (usually less than 1 min), but it is happening constantly - pretty much every 5-10 mins tonight. It has an Intel 8260-AC card. Interestingly the driver version is later than the 'official' one, not sure if that could really be an issue though (19.40.0.3 vs. 18.40.0.9).

Comment

Svnyster, I'm not sure if I read your post right but you had problems with 5 ghz frequencies? Mine is decent with 5 ghz and the main problem is with the 2.4 ghz. AORUS-MKT what now?

Comment

Originally posted by WingnutW View Post
                              I'll jump on this too, seemingly over the last few days my machine (X3 V5-cf2) has started to drop wifi connectivity. It doesn't drop for long (usually less than 1 min), but it is happening constantly - pretty much every 5-10 mins tonight. It has an Intel 8260-AC card. Interestingly the driver version is later than the 'official' one, not sure if that could really be an issue though (19.40.0.3 vs. 18.40.0.9).
                              I'm not aware of any issues with the Intel 8260 or 8265 cards. The Intel 7260 and 7265 cards did have issues though. However, since the Killer issues resulted from a Windows 10 update, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of similar issues with the 8260. As for the driver version, certain driver versions have been the cause of some issues plaguing WiFi cards, so I wouldn't rule it out either.

If none of your other devices are experiencing issues (ruling out an issue with your wireless router or access point), I would suggest trying each of these steps one-by-one to see if any resolve your issue:
                              1. Make sure Windows has all of its updates installed
                              2. Try installing the newest driver for your WiFi card (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/pro...reless-AC-8260)
                              3. Roll back the drivers for the 8260 to the earliest version possible, uninstall any Intel PROSet software, and use the AORUS Driver Update utility to download the recommended version of the driver
                              If steps 1 and 2 don't work for you, I would recommend downloading the driver from AORUS (http://download.aorus.com/DownloadFi...-18.32.1.2.zip) before rolling back and uninstalling the Intel software, just in case it stops the WiFi card from working completely. The driver version I linked is older than the current recommended version, but you can use the Driver Update utility to update to the current version if necessary.

Originally posted by briandev View Post
                              Svnyster, I'm not sure if I read your post right but you had problems with 5 ghz frequencies? Mine is decent with 5 ghz and the main problem is with the 2.4 ghz. AORUS-MKT what now?
                              With the Killer 1535, the card would often stop working completely (the WiFi icon in the taskbar would have the yellow warning symbol over the icon when the connection drops, then change to a red x when the card stops functioning). Waiting a bit or going into the network settings to disable and re-enable the card would temporarily fix the issue, but it would occur again. The time that it noticeably occurs most is when transferring a large number of packets, such as downloading/uploading a large quantity of files, downloading/uploading a single large file, or playing online games where packets are constantly being transferred.

My issue with the 5 GHz band was actually getting the card to recognize the band at all. It would sometimes see the 5 GHz band, but I would say about 80-90% of the time, any 5 GHz bands are not discoverable at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X