No announcement yet.

Aorus X7 V6 DT losing power even plugged in

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im running my dt v6 on a 330 watt power supply. Extended sessions with the witcher 3, mass effect andromeda, battlefield 1, titan fall 2, etc are all fine. No battery drain on my side. Pretty much always 100% charged. Im even OCed via afterburner a bit. I do seem to hit 100 degrees on a few cpu cores sometimes with cpu intensive games. But otherwise average temps are around 90 degrees. So not too scary.

Comment

Originally posted by Errlala View Post
      Im running my dt v6 on a 330 watt power supply. Extended sessions with the witcher 3, mass effect andromeda, battlefield 1, titan fall 2, etc are all fine. No battery drain on my side. Pretty much always 100% charged. Im even OCed via afterburner a bit. I do seem to hit 100 degrees on a few cpu cores sometimes with cpu intensive games. But otherwise average temps are around 90 degrees. So not too scary.
      I ordered a 330w PSU as well. After undervolting and overclocking the GPU and the CPU + a repaste the machine runs really smooth and comparably cool.

So I´d really like to check what I can achive. Still I find it completely ignorant that the support does not give a **** at all.

Neither in this thread nor as an answer to my ticket.

Imagine a 3.500 $ Notebook that you have to buy your own PSU in order to run it poperly ^^

Best regards

phila
      Last edited by phila_delphia; 06-03-2017, 02:18 AM.

Comment

Indeed. Seems like they wont acklowledge the issue. Though ive had pretty good experience with their staff at their taipei maintenance shop, itd still be nice to hear a statement regarding this issue.
        i wonder if the next revision will be using the nvidia max-q 1080gtx.
        Underclocked and under volted should keep it nice and cool. But then we can choose from so many different laptop manufacturers then.

Hopefully they can fix the power issue and come our with a 1080ti version for the next flagship.
        that and a mechnical keyboard + ess sabre DAC. Then they can tale my money again.

Comment

Originally posted by Errlala View Post
          Can I ask which 330w power supply you decided to go with? I'm also draining battery while plugged-in playing Elite Dangerous.

How is this a problem on a $3000 laptop?

Comment

Hi,

Apologies for the late update, still really busy at Computex.
            I have a beta firmware version for those who would like to try, as the team is still testing to eliminate as many keyboard "issues" as possible.
            As usual, the forum does not allow me to send files to users. Please provide me your email through the MKT inbox and I will send the beta firmware to you directly.

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by AORUS-MKT View Post
              Hi,

I have a beta firmware version for those who would like to try, as the team is still testing to eliminate as many keyboard "issues" as possible.
              As usual, the forum does not allow me to send files to users. Please provide me your email through the MKT inbox and I will send the beta firmware to you directly.

Cheers!
              I'm a little weary about updating my bios again. Last time I tried, BIOs didn't post and it apparently fried my motherboard. I spent $150 in insurance to ship this thing back to California for repairs. I'm not taking that chance again.

Comment

Originally posted by AORUS-MKT View Post
                Hi,

Cheers!
                Hi there! Thank you for finally replying.

As I stated above the problem is only partially on the bios side. I personally do not want to to beta test your bios as I do not want to end up with any powerlimited GPU - if I wanted one of those I`d gone with a "Razer Blade Pro", if you know what I mean.

The X7 DT V6 has a great cooling system (which would profit from premium thermal paste by the way) that could easily handle some more power. Unfortunately it greatly suffers from a insufficient PSU in the current state. I mean come on even the "Razer Blade Pro" allows for 250w.

I actually made a little post about the Aorus X7 DT V6 pros and cons on notebookreviews: http://forum.notebookreview.com/thre...lounge.804181/

Best regards

phila

@scootypuffjr: I ordered an Alienware PSU which has the same connector 7,4mm out and 5mm in and allows for 330w at 19.5 volts and 16.5 ampere. You might want to try undervolting your card via MSI Afterburner it allows me to run the GPU at 1800mhz with only 875mV, which eliminates draining for me. I allready posted how to use Afterburnerin this way: http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...s-owners-lounge.795090/page-290#post-10356883
                Last edited by phila_delphia; 06-03-2017, 05:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by phila_delphia View Post

@scootypuffjr: I ordered an Alienware PSU which has the same connector 7,4mm out and 5mm in and allows for 330w at 19.5 volts and 16.5 ampere. You might want to try undervolting your card via MSI Afterburner it allows me to run the GPU at 1800mhz with only 875mV, which eliminates draining for me. I allready posted how to use Afterburnerin this way: http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...s-owners-lounge.795090/page-290#post-10356883
                  Cheers! The undervolt seems to have eliminated the draining issue. Thanks for the info!
                  This is still just a band-aid for what seems to be an under-powered PSU. I'll see if AORUS says anything before I decide to upgrade.

Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by scootypuffjr View Post

Cheers! The undervolt seems to have eliminated the draining issue. Thanks for the info!
                    This is still just a band-aid for what seems to be an under-powered PSU. I'll see if AORUS says anything before I decide to upgrade.

Thanks again
                    Hi there! Nice to hear that. Still: Same as you I think Aorus did not think about what they were doing, when they put this PSU with the Noteook - a shame as the machine is quite expensice. Still wore is that they do not care at all. It is weeks since I wrote a ticket and the only thing I got is some standard "We recieved your message" crap. Same with the very support forums we are writing in. Instead of any action Aorus-MTK offers some beta BIOS. Which will limit the 1080s power budget I guess... very poor performance.

Best regards

phila

Comment

Update: Event 330w PSU does not fix anything. CPU keeps throtteling upon reaching 240w. Crippeled machine... (in this regard*) Undervolting GPU is the only solution to keep CPU from throtteling.

Best regards

phila

*still love the notebook for overall performance ;-P

Comment

Aorus Support is completely laughable!

On May 11th I submitted a ticket due to the throtteling CPU throtteling issues that are related to the PSU that can not sustain the power for CPU and GPU at a time:

My ticket read: "Dear Sirs! I was aking for help in your forums, but no one seems to care. I talked about the throtteling issues here: http://forum.aorus.com/forum/gaming-...2725#post42725 The power supply unit for the notebook is just to weak. You can not run it on the specs you set it to, without massive throtteling - onli undervolting GPU and CPU will prevent this. PLEASE - give us a stronger PSU! Best regards Philipp"

Today (six weeks later) I recived the following opy paste reply:

Update 6/21/2017
                        Sorry for the waiting.
                        Thank you for choosing X7 DT - Greatest Slim design Gaming Solution. We are honored to receive your feedback.
                        According the information you provided. We found the processor is not throttling, 2.7GHz is the stable working frequency designed for the processor. The frequency range between 2.7Ghz to 3.6GHz is designed as Turbo Boost Max Technology(2.0). The maximal frequency will be affected by following reasons:
                        Type of workload
                        Number of active cores
                        Estimated current consumption
                        Estimated power consumption
                        Processor temperature
                        Drive support
                        You can find more information from Intel's website: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us...echnology.html
                        However, Intel defined a limited boost duration to protect processor. The processor can only work in Turbo Boost status for 28Sec., then back to stable working frequency to prevent processor damage. Cause Turbo Boost is actually designed as short time overloading mode.
                        Hope the information can solve your doubts. == Original 5/11/2017 ===

I do not know what you guys think, but saying that downclocking to the base clock is not throtteling might be technically right. Still this is not the point as the downlocking can easily be solved by undervolting the GPU. Noone at Aorus ever cared to read what I posted or what info I did provide.

So yeah! Great job!

Best regards

phila

Comment

Working...
                        X