Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am definitely waiting for the pre-order date. The only problem is that Aorus has made me wait so long that 2 other laptops got me thinking VERY VERY VERY hard. And you all know I have been posting asking for release dates since x5v7 was announced in January at CES. I am not considering the ASUS Zephyrus. For the same price, I get a thinner 15" laptop WITH a GTX 1080. http://www.anandtech.com/show/11480/asus-reveals-the-ultraslim-rog-zephyrus-laptop-with-gtx-1080-maxq It is going on sale later this month like the x5v7. I am also looking at the Acer predator Triton also with a GTX 1080 http://www.tomshardware.com/news/ace...-on,34568.html.

Help me choose

Comment

Hi,

I took a look at those laptops that you mentioned at Computex, I must say, they do "look" pretty nice (hope I don't get fired for this comment). But I must also say, we have announced the X5 MD, which also has the GTX 1080. Besides that, it comes with the new 32-bit ESS DAC, 4K X-Rite Pantone calibrated display option and more (don't want to start sounding like a spec sheet). AORUS has an all-rounder and it comes in a stealthy design and in full black.

Comment

Originally posted by AORUS-MKT View Post
        Hi,

I took a look at those laptops that you mentioned at Computex, I must say, they do "look" pretty nice (hope I don't get fired for this comment). But I must also say, we have announced the X5 MD, which also has the GTX 1080. Besides that, it comes with the new 32-bit ESS DAC, 4K X-Rite Pantone calibrated display option and more (don't want to start sounding like a spec sheet). AORUS has an all-rounder and it comes in a stealthy design and in full black.
        Both of those two laptops are scheduled to be released in June and August. When is the x5 MD will be release? I mean.. you guys don't even have the x5 v7s out there yet.

Comment

Here for the possible discount! Longtime lurker, first time poster. Any chance of adding the X5 MD and X9 to the list in the first post? Even vague estimates like late 2017 are fine.

I've reached a point where I've decided to retire my gaming desktop and Dell E6420 for a one machine setup. If I decide to buy this month, the X5 v7 is clearly the best option for me. I'll wait for reviews to be sure, but it's a very compelling product. But I might also wait for Coffee Lake/Volta. My current hardware is robust enough that waiting another year isn't a huge deal, but waiting two years is too much. A year from now, it'll be a whole new generation of hardware, and other companies will be in the mix again. I've been reading around a lot, and if it helps at all, here's things I'm interested in as a consumer that others seem to want as well.

I think 'thin and light' is overrated in performance machines, it leads to compromises in function, and people notice. The X5 is at the sweet spot in terms of thickness and weight right now, if you want to do something to shave the size down, decrease the footprint. To me, the footprint dimensions are what I appreciate being smaller when I'm packing a laptop or placing it on a desk. Prioritizing even more specifically, length > width > height > weight. The length of the laptop should be just enough to accommodate the macro keys and numpad, and skinnier macro keys would also be okay for shaving a little more width. The width should be just enough to accommodate the screen and hinge forward design. The webcam can be taken off the top if needed, all of the chin-cam complaints are overblown in my opinion. Depth should be as much as required to effectively cool the laptop. Weight...I don't really care, until you get to like 10 lbs/5 kg or something preposterous like that.

The keyboard layout itself is great in my opinion. I love the full sized arrow keys and macro key placement. though the inclusion of a pause/break key is puzzling, I would prefer print screen, insert, or even just extra space between esc, the f1-f12 keys, and del, so that the placement of esc and del is easy to feel and spot. Speaking of the keyboard, here's an idea that I'm stealing from some dude here. My usage would be different, but the idea of the left keys being additional modifier keys is pretty cool.
          Allow G keys on the left column to work as modifer keys to fire macros. This would allow you to have the "G1" key + the "Q" key be a macro, "G2" + "Q" be a different macro, "G3" + "Q" be yet another macro, "G4" + "Q" another macro still, and "G5" + "Q" a fifth macro assigned to the "Q" key. This would give you an option to have 45 macros on available on the QAZWSXEDC keys in a single profile. That's an incredible amount of macro depth without the need to cycle profiles or move your left hand away from the WASD area. Retain the option for a G key to be a direct macro, and not a modifier key, of course. I would use this depth for tons of preloaded chat messages, spell combos, etc. The macros that I'd need the fastest would stay on my mouse buttons, personally.
          A packed pixels or Project Valerie option of some sort would win me over in an instant if you released something that allowed me carry around a triple 4k monitor setup. I would actually prefer the extra screens be totally detachable, more like Packed Pixels than project Valerie. Right now it's possible for consumers to do ad hoc solutions with things like this, but there are no portable 15" 4k monitors to go along with them. Yes, I would totally be the guy at the airport or coffee shop hogging an outlet rocking their triple screen setup. Also, good quality OLED touchscreens, please! I'll make the battery life trade.

Keep up the the quality work on your cooling. While surfing around, what struck me about this video was that his temperatures didn't improve after repasting with a high quality TIM, he needed to go to liquid metal for significant results. Awful TIM is practically ubiquitous in laptops, so if all Aorus laptops are similar in that there's no benefit to repasting with anything but liquid metal, that's a huge point in your favor. Your target audience likely to have a good amount of people who appreciate that quality. Even those who don't know the difference can be influenced by people who do when they visit places like here or here. Getting mentions in sticky topics (especially when they're cross posted) and other shortlists is good word of mouth advertising.

Edit: Make a wireless mouse that's automatically detected by Aorus laptops, no dongle needed. And not using a laggy option like Bluetooth, of course. Include wired and dongle options for other use scenarios, of course. I take my Razer Orochi with me everywhere and love it, but it's showing its age after 7 or so years of being banged around. Wireless, no-dongle pairing that uses the same macro software as the laptop keyboard would instantly make me buy an Aorus mouse to go with an Aorus laptop. This could even just be another version of the Thunder, though I'd prefer something a bit less "gamer" looking.

Edit: A 200W power supply? The specs page for both the X5 v7 and X5 MD had better be lying. 200W for the 1070 equipped X5 makes you look like cheapskates, the laptop is capable of drawing more power than the PSU is rated for. And then you make a version with a 1080 that can draw even more power? A PSU is not a component that I want to be pushing to the limits.
          Last edited by DancingNomad; 06-03-2017, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the update on the X5 MD. Great looking machine and I would buy it RIGHT NOW if it was available. I am worried that it is going to be another significantly delayed release date like the x5v7 was. My current machine is on life support.... Believe me when I saw that overall, my preference is on Aorus. The x5 MD offers the RAID 0, 64mb of RAM. (I ran many VMs for work, so this is important), and I can still throw in a beefy SD for local backup, run triple displays easily, etc. I wish I had a release date, so I can know how much longer I must keep breathing life into my current setup

Comment

Found the specs for the x5 MD here: http://www.aorus.com/product-detail....4&t=35&t2=&t3=

Comment

Originally posted by ophdian View Post

Thanks for the update on the X5 MD. Great looking machine and I would buy it RIGHT NOW if it was available. I am worried that it is going to be another significantly delayed release date like the x5v7 was. My current machine is on life support.... Believe me when I saw that overall, my preference is on Aorus. The x5 MD offers the RAID 0, 64mb of RAM. (I ran many VMs for work, so this is important), and I can still throw in a beefy SD for local backup, run triple displays easily, etc. I wish I had a release date, so I can know how much longer I must keep breathing life into my current setup
                I called one of the store, who sells Aorus, they said that Gigabyte is the slowest company to release/ship their product. He was saying that other company, who showed their product at CES, started shipping in January 2017. Meanwhile, the v7s are not even available for order yet. So I wouldn't hold my breath.

Comment

Well... While searching earth and sky I came across some interesting things:.... This guy at Computex 2017 (second part of the video) says that the X5 MD shall be available "this summer". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_mt0VgUL5M

But what is interesting... every review of the "Nvidia Max Q" is saying that all Max Q GPUs are running slower clock speeds. This is not an Auros, but an nVidia design spec. For example... The normal laptop edition GTX 1080 (current and last year) runs clock speeds of 1566 - 1733 while the Max Q design GTX 1080 is running between 1101 - 1290 - 1278 - 1468 (boost). So the Max Q maximum boost is the BELOW the original starting clock of the non Max Q GPU. So the actual GPUs are running slower In fact they are saying most likely no more than 15% performance increase if using a Max Q GPU. This explains why the Aorus X5v7 with a 1070 has the same power supply as X5 MD with a 1080.

This complicates the decision. If true, and it appears it is, then it might be better to get a current Gen 1080 than wait a Max Q design.

Comment

It appears it is true that the Max Q GPUs have slowed down clock speeds. I found a nice chart on NoteBookCheck.net (bottom of article) which shows the different clock speeds and MHz of all the GPUs.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile....169549.0.html

Comment

Hi,

I noticed that on the x5v7 Specs Security row... It shows TPM and Intel PTT. However, on the x5 MD (which is supposed to be the higher model), it just says Kensington Lock. Does that mean that the x5 MD does not have these features?

Comment

Originally posted by ophdian View Post
                        Well... While searching earth and sky I came across some interesting things:.... This guy at Computex 2017 (second part of the video) says that the X5 MD shall be available "this summer". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_mt0VgUL5M

But what is interesting... every review of the "Nvidia Max Q" is saying that all Max Q GPUs are running slower clock speeds. This is not an Auros, but an nVidia design spec. For example... The normal laptop edition GTX 1080 (current and last year) runs clock speeds of 1566 - 1733 while the Max Q design GTX 1080 is running between 1101 - 1290 - 1278 - 1468 (boost). So the Max Q maximum boost is the BELOW the original starting clock of the non Max Q GPU. So the actual GPUs are running slower In fact they are saying most likely no more than 15% performance increase if using a Max Q GPU. This explains why the Aorus X5v7 with a 1070 has the same power supply as X5 MD with a 1080.

This complicates the decision. If true, and it appears it is, then it might be better to get a current Gen 1080 than wait a Max Q design.
                        Yeah, it's basically like what they did with the Razer Blade Pro, only less drastic a performance drop. The RBP is about 80% the performance of the true 1080 and it's gimped by lower clock speeds and less TDP for the GPU. That'll almost definitely be the case for Max-Q, along with optimized cooling systems to achieve 90% of desktop performance like they are speccing out. I'm personally not interested in overpaying for underperforming hardware, but there's certainly a market out there for it. My eyes are still on the x7 DT.

Comment

Hi,

So any update on the release dates on the OP? Do those still stand?

Comment

Originally posted by Derek712 View Post

Early June of 2018

Comment

Originally posted by Derek712 View Post

I've got information saying that x5v7 will be available at the end of June

Comment

Originally posted by 7he3ND View Post

I've got information saying that x5v7 will be available at the end of June
                                Crap, that means the x7 might be even later then. My limit is till the end of the month and then I have to pull the trigger on at least something. I wish there was at least a preorder somewhere, for piece of mind...

Comment

Working...
                                X