Announcement

Collapse

Notice

The AORUS forum currently has no moderator.
Please feel free to continue using the forum.
For urgent matters, please contact your nearest service center or visit the AORUS website: https://www.aorus.com/.
See more
See less

[Customisation] Touch Pad - Add texture to left + right click areas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Customisation] Touch Pad - Add texture to left + right click areas

Hi everyone,

As it had been brought up a few times across the forum and was also something I had pondered myself I decided that having a different texture on the touch pad of my X7V2 where the left and right click areas are would be very useful.

My original intention was to use a phone screen protector film however after a few attempts at cutting and applying the film I decided it was not the best material for the purpose for the following reasons:

- Very unforgiving when dust is caught underneath.
    - Edges once cut were sharp to the touch and were very difficult to get neat
    - Seemed that once applied it was very easy to catch the corners and lift the film up

So, I ended up using Matte black automotive decal film/wrap instead for the following reasons:

- Very forgiving to apply (much easier to reapply a few times to get positioning right.
    - easier to cut and due to its pliable nature edges remained neat and smooth to the touch even after repeated trimming.
    - Matte texture and colour gave a much nicer feel and finish (in my opinion anyway)

The following instructions are simply the process I used to achieve the pictured results written is such a way so that anyone, anywhere, with little to no experience can replicate my results, you of course may do this however you please :-)

You will need:

- Automotive decal film - Available from your local autoparts store I assume? (In Australia I got mine from Supercheap Auto)
    - Dry screen cleaning cloth (like those used to clean phone screens)
    - Scalpel (not to be juggled or thrown)
    - fine scissors or craft knife (for trimming corners)
    - Ruler (for measuring and for providing a straight edge to cut along)

Instructions:

1. Cut a piece off the roll of vinyl large than what you need (Much easier than working with the whole roll)
    2. accurately measure the area you wish to cover (in my case Length: 101mm x Width: 16mm)
    3. try to maintain a 0.2 - 0.5mm space on all edges to avoid the edges of the vinyl catching on anything as you press the touch pad buttons.
    4. once you have your piece of vinyl, without removing it from the backing, place it on the touch pad to check it is the right size.
    5. if it is the right size now you can round the two bottom corners to match the shape of the touch pad (be sure to trim in very small increments to avoid cutting too much off)
    6. Use the screen cleaning cloth to remove all dust/grease/fingerprints from the touch pad
    7. Peel the backing off the vinyl
    8. Do your best to line up the vinyl and stick one end down and then the other
    9. using the screen cleaning cloth, rub the vinyl to push any air bundles out from under it.
    10. repeat steps 6, 8 and 9 until your happy with the results

Pictures:

before:

After:

Last edited by ajgftw; 08-23-2015, 04:40 AM. Reason: I swear I proof read....didn't help
    Laptop: Aorus X7V2 (Upgraded by Aorus from V1)
    Primary Monitor: Phillips BDM4065UC/75 (40" 4K@60hz)
    Auxilary Monitors: 2 x BenQ GL2460HM (24" 1080p)
    1 x AOC M2870VQ (28" 1080p)
    Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB
    Mouse: SteelSeries Sensei/Logitech M570

Nice result. How much does the auto decal paper cost and is it any different from normal black decal paper?

Comment

$29 for the roll
      Laptop: Aorus X7V2 (Upgraded by Aorus from V1)
      Primary Monitor: Phillips BDM4065UC/75 (40" 4K@60hz)
      Auxilary Monitors: 2 x BenQ GL2460HM (24" 1080p)
      1 x AOC M2870VQ (28" 1080p)
      Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB
      Mouse: SteelSeries Sensei/Logitech M570

Comment

Working...
      X